Friday, May 11, 2007

LOST IN BRONX, N.Y.


DEAR ABBY: I have been in a horrible marriage for eight years. My husband, "Greg," has a lot of problems from his childhood and has a hard time being in a relationship. I have recently learned that he was raped by a family member when he was a little boy. He seems to be in denial, and claims it didn't happen.

In any case, I have had a feeling lately that Greg is attracted to men and may be having some kind of a fling with a guy. This guy is supposed to be a business associate, but he calls my husband constantly and has shown up at our house at 12:30 at night. Greg refused to answer the door, but texted him and lied to me about it. I feel like he doesn't want me to meet this guy.

How would I be able to tell if this is happening? Greg certainly won't tell me. -- LOST IN BRONX, N.Y.

You might argue that the science isn't really in on this, but Jeer Abby doesn't believe being raped as a child makes you gay. It can ruin all your future relationships if you're in denial (horrible 8 year marriage anyone?).

There's nothing wrong with being gay--unless you're married to a member of the opposite sex.

Obviously you think he's gay or you wouldn't have given him such a gay alias. "Greg"? Why not just say: "My handlebar moustachioed husband "Greg" who likes Broadway musicals and keeps the house meticulously clean, especially his closet filled with stylish clothes, was raped."

Another thing that makes a heterosexual marriage horrible? When your husband is gay.

I'd mention something to him along the lines of, "If that was a woman coming unannounced at 12:30, I'd think you were having an affair..." Then quickly add: "On second thought, I wouldn't, because you're gay."

See if that trips him up.

This may seem rash, but I would simply end your marriage as quickly and financially beneficial as possible. Six months after the papers are signed, you'll have an answer to the gay question when you see which fine young man your ex-husband is dating.

Your advice, readers?

No comments: