Thursday, May 10, 2007

TROOPER'S WIFE IN NEW YORK


I'm writing in response to the letter from "Reader in the East" (March 21), asking what to give someone who has just graduated from the police academy. Abby, the patron saint of police officers and law enforcement is St. Michael, not St. Christopher!

Another thoughtful gift would be a charm of the trooper's shield with his badge number on it. I gave my husband a small replica of his shield with his number on the front and a message of love and safety on the back. He never goes out the door without his "good luck shield." He says that it and his bulletproof vest are the best protection he has. (He also has a St. Michael's medal, and wears it as well.) -- TROOPER'S WIFE IN NEW YORK

Who knew there was a patron saint of law enforcement? Who cares if it's St. Michael or St. Christopher since both sound a little G-A-Y. Aren't saints former Catholic clergy? In that case, both sound a little P-E-D- Oh, never mind.

My point is that being a cop is a pretty macho job, assuming the TV show COPS is a more accurate portrayal than Reno 911. Even if you split the difference, I can't imagine a cop who is about to bust through a door with armed drug dealers inside is thinking, "Got my kevlar vest? Check. Got my St. Michael's shield? Check."

It's a dangerous job and maybe these little charms give the illusion of safety (to the person giving them). But illusions of safety are no replacement for the real thing. False comfort is no comfort at all.

I promise not to make any jokes about the patron saint of Krispy Kremes if you please tell me who the patron saint of getting out of speeding tickets is.

Your advice, readers?

No comments: