Monday, July 23, 2007

NOT SO BLUE IN EVERETT, WASH.

DEAR ABBY: I have recently begun using Internet dating sites to meet guys in my community. With my busy work and home schedules, I have found this to be a good alternative. The problem I'm having is that some of these sites allow matches to ask if you are emotionally and mentally healthy.

In my case, I have suffered from depression in the past. I have been hospitalized for this issue and have received medication. At this point in my life, I manage my depression with non-drug-related therapies. I no longer need a counselor or a therapist, and have in place strategies for when I feel I'm cycling downward.

How should I respond to gentlemen who are looking for an "emotionally healthy" match? I consider myself "recovering" and do not take my mental health for granted. Your advice would be much appreciated. -- NOT SO BLUE IN EVERETT, WASH.

I think the fact that you're using Internet dating sites to meet guys in your community pretty much implies that you've struggled with depression at some point. The hospitalization part might be something fun to spring on your new man sometime after you've slept with him but before he stops calling you. It will make him feel more guilty/scared about blowing you off.

Just kidding. He won't feel guilty about blowing you off.

I think you should do what everyone on Internet dating sites--and the Internet itself--does and lie. Are you emotionally stable? Yes (as of the moment you answer the question anyway). Are you struggling with depression? No (not since last weekend, which you spent alone and sobbing).

I'm sure that your potential dates are lying about things as well. Are they athletic? Sensitive to the emotional needs of their partner? Any outstanding felonies?

That's the other way to look at this. Perhaps some men aren't looking for an emotionally and mentally healthy girlfriend. Maybe they want you to have issues that will create chaos and drama in their life. How can they reach their full potential as abusive, controlling boyfriends if you don't put your weakest foot forward?

In any case, if you still consider yourself "recovering" from depression, then you're depressed. Maybe not at the moment. But it's a timebomb waiting to go off. Any guy you're serious about should know that bomb exists--and maybe if you open up, he'll let you know about his paranoid schizophrenic disorder he stopped taking medication for.

Your advice, readers?

No comments: